Principal Engineer, Mechanical
As ClearMotion continues to develop our product toward the first commercial high-bandwidth active-suspension systems, we need to ensure a solid mechanical foundation of our current and future products.This role is to lead and solve challenging problems while coupling hydromechanical systems knowledge contributing to the development of ClearMotion’s high bandwidth actuators. The candidate will be responsible for managing the entire design cycle from initial new product inception to durability testing and production release.Extensive background in Solidworks modelling, vehicle packaging, and suspension system design will be required as we advance our products forward. This position will be based out of our headquarters in Billerica, MA, although a 100% remote role will be considered.
- Lead and solve challenging problems contributing to the development of ClearMotion’s high-bandwidth actuator and hydro-electric systems.
- Manage and lead a mechanical development team to ensure the on-time development of reliable products that are cost effective, meet requirements, and maintain company standards.
- Provide technical and strategic guidance to direct team and project towards achieving internal and external objectives.
- Set expectations for performance, coach and manage for excellence, and develop future leaders
- Own multiple critical aspects of the assembly and deliver designs that meet our most challenging requirements of integration space within vehicle environment, performance, reliability, and cost.
- Drive workstreams involving internal stakeholders and strategic partners to progress actuator maturity through our product development process.
- Lead design reviews focused on concept designs showing verification through analysis, simulation, and lab/bench testing.
- Develop validation plans based on analysis, simulation and FMEA to mitigate potential risks.
- Collaborate cross functionally to convert system requirements into hydraulic, mechanical and electrical design requirements providing the engineering team validation and verification targets.
- Create, review and release drawings at both the component and assembly level where GD&T fundamentals, tolerance stack analysis, FMEA, design for manufacturing and assembly are considered.
- Participate in improving the product development strategy.
Essential Qualifications & Experience
- 5+ years of experience developing mechanical and/or hydro-mechanical systems in the automotive industry, preferably Tier 1 or Tier 2 supplier.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline
- Proficiency using Solidworks and Solidworks EPDM (or similar), Catia experience is also appreciated
- Ability to perform and apply FEA (Ansys preferred) as a tool within the product development process.
- Demonstrate understanding and working knowledge of DFMEA and DVP&R within the product development process
- Formal GD&T Training
- Ability to work in a fast-paced development environment
- Excellent communication and collaborative experience with global cross functional teams.
- Ability to drive consensus at levels (parallel, upwards, and downwards) in a complex organization, and drive execution based on decision.
- Can show proven success in an atmosphere with varying amounts of ambiguity, but still able to set and deliver on plans with proven processes.
- Willingness and ability to travel, as necessary.
- Ability to influence internal and external technical experts and decision-makers
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer; applicants, employees and former employees are protected from employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, and genetic information (including family medical history), or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Pay Type Salary
- Billerica, MA, USA
- Nuneaton, UK